Saturday 16 October 2010

Kingdoms of soul-cleansing.



Yesterday I wasn’t feeling that great. “How could you man? This is Athens! Come at the party with us!” would be what my roommates or some Erasmus student would have told me. But I decided to keep this for myself. There was that party yesterday, but I didn’t want to go, not that I wasn’t in the mood to be with other people, I just felt like I just wanted to remain calm and do whatever I wanted to. So I’ve been listening to some music and at some point I decided to go out.

Yeah I’ve been out for the night, but alone, on my own. And it was just fine really. I really wanted to talk a walk through the city, lose myself in Athens and just let my feelings go and fly.

That is not typically the type of evening or night that people have here, especially the other students but I really miss it: being on my own and just walk. Lucky me, it wasn’t raining or anything. I just took my coat and the second after I was walking toward unknown direction. I didn’t even take any maps. And I was thinking: "Today is not already over, and after all, the day ends when I say it does".
I don’t know I arrived at Syntagma Square just for the changing of the guard. Syntagma Square is, well at least I believe, my favourite place in Athens. Well maybe not my favourite but this place has some meaningful signification to me, especially the bus stop.

Then I decided to go forward to the temple of Zeus, which I’ve only seen, from the Acropolis. At the entrance of the archaeological site, I understand why the people who were the first to discover this place, these poets, these writers, and these painters love this place. As you consider the columns of the temple, reaching to the sky I felt like my soul wanted to follow their lead, reaching the heights of these columns and pierce through the clouds. These magnificent places, grandiose temples and these columns are like the gates to other kingdoms. Kingdoms that are only open to people who have a strong enough will and passion to push their gates. I wanted to experience something new that night and coming to this place was a healing moment.

So yes, set sail, brides of disease. Set sail. I understood the lesson: I quit trying to run. These columns whispered me to wash away my anger and take with them my pain.
Set sail. I no longer hide. I only talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment